I got tagged by Ben Winter-Giles with 8 things meme, probably in revenge ;-) for my introduction of him at Web Directions South 07.
For those who haven’t heard about the 8 things meme yet:
The rules :
- Link to your tagger and post these rules.
- List EIGHT random facts about yourself.
- Tag EIGHT people at the end of your post and list their names.
- Let them know they’ve been tagged.
Here are eight things you probably didn’t know about me:
- I got introduced to hexadecimal at the age of 10 by two computer boffins (hey it was 1971 and anybody used computers was a boffin). The boffins where at a quiet career night with a computerised mathematical quiz. They decided to show a precious 10 year old that you could answer in decimal or hexadecimal. Which went really well for five minutes, until the 10 year typed in “please can I have harder questions” and I crashed my first computer.
- I went to high school with Gary aka Tuna aka Man with No Blog. His stream got to do computer programming aka playing with punch cards, I got to do advanced cooking as the only boy in a class of 20 girls instead.
- The closest I ever got to any training in graphic design was helping my sister with her assignments while she was studying graphic design in return for help in typing my assignments for my degree in psychology.
- I suffered brain damage as the result of a car doing a uturn in front of my moving motorcycle. I have seen the scans my brain is not a pretty sight, there is roughly 10 to 20% that does not work.
- I have an exceptional good memory though I do not always show it with words or names. It got me through school and university. I was worried that brain damage was affecting my memory, so I got tested twice after the accident. I was off the scale both times (top 0.1% of population). I freaked out the psychologist who did the tests, by saying I remembered the questions from the intelligence test twelve months earlier, so I googled the answers before attending the second test.
- If you are not carefully, I will make appearance on your tv via Rage late at night. I had roles in two Jebediah film clips, Jerks of Attention and Teflon. I am the guy with the bright red hair, leather pants and chained to a sink.
Nickobec which is my username on a lot of forums, came about because I needed an yahoo email address a long time ago when it was limited to 8 characters and firstname.lastname@example.org was taken, so instead of nick17 which was suggested by Yahoo, I choose nickobec because that was the username I was given for an online FBPro football league I was playing at the time. First four characters of my name, plus four character team moniker for my team the Oberlin Coyotes. My town was chosen based on the record of the Oberlin College football team, which at that stage was 44 game losing streak (a US college record). I started using nickobec in forums whenever nick was already taken.who said I could count ;-)
- I do play computer games, but I stick to older ones, I have spent a lot of time playing the original Civilization. Still have not been able to conquer the world, with six other civilizations at the emperor level before 800AD.
- Like most of the Perth Port80 Posse I am addicted to Five Senses Coffee. Burton’s Blend is my favourite.
Normally I don’t like tagging people in memes, so this is a clayton’s tag, ignore it, unless you feel the need. Except for Sarah, you need to blog. So in no particular order:
- Sarah just to add to the pressure to get her to post to her blog for the first time in a while.
- Raena has rebooted her blog (cleaned of the old content) and here is the chance to add new content.
- Miles because there are some really unusual random facts about Miles that he let slip during late night socialising session, that need to published.
- Kay I just want to find out about the goatlady moniker.
- Myles aka Madpilot I want to find the origin of Madpilot.
- Bronwen because Browen will beat me up if she missed out ;-)
- You, because I never know enough about the people who regularly read this blog.
And I know that is only seven, but sometimes I just feel the need to break the rules.